One of my favorite dishes I had when I traveled to Scotland was a mixture of salmon, peas, and mashed potatoes all mushed together. It was just good comfort food and oddly enough when I came back home I missed it. Frankly, I craved it. It wasn’t anything super fancy. I ate it in a tavern with live music and a fire and it was perfect. Let me also give a little more back story, I ate this amazing dish when I was 17 in Scotland, after I just got a decently severe concussion by running into someone’s teeth with the bridge of my nose (very long story). I’m sure how I remember the dish tasting and how it actually tasted are two different things, but nonetheless what this dish reminds me of happy memories I have of Scotland with amazing friends.
I’ve made it multiple times before…but never this way, never this healthy. Normally I use ungodly amounts of butter, heavy cream, and Gruyère cheese. This recipe is WAY healthier than that. Please enjoy and let me know your thoughts!
Cauliflower – Instead of Potatoes:
- 2 cups Cauliflower – I used frozen
- 1/2 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1/4 cup shredded Sharp White Cheddar Cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon chopped Dill
- 2 teaspoons Half and Half
- 1 tablespoon Greek Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup Canned Peas
- 3 to 4 oz Fresh Salmon steak
- Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder – to taste, light dusting
- 1/4 teaspoon minced Garlic
- 2 Dill sprigs
- 2 1/4 inch Lemon slices
- 1/2 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- Preheat over to 375. Line baking sheet with tinfoil – helps keep your baking sheet clean.
- In a piece of tinfoil big enough to wrap the salmon, coat the salmon (lightly) with salt, pepper, and onion powder. Add butter, minced garlic, lemon juice, dill sprigs, and top with sliced lemon. Close tinfoil packet.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cook cauliflower per directions. After cauliflower has cooled enough to touch, mash with either a hand masher or food processor. I used the hand masher but it makes a rougher consistency. Squeeze out water using cheesecloth.
- In a pot add mashed cauliflower, shredded cheddar, chopped dill, Greek yogurt, half and half, butter, salt and pepper. Stir together over medium heat until mixed thoroughly.
- At this point you can either heat the peas separately or add them to the cauliflower mixture. For the purpose of the picture, I added mine separately but I have done it both ways.
- Plate mashed cauliflower and top with salmon. Sprinkle with fresh lemon juice and chopped dill.
I seriously love this dish. I have made it so many times and I will continue to make it and probably change it each time. If I am feeling super unhealthy that’s when I add more cheese. Frankly if you are using cauliflower, you can use more cheese. This dish doesn’t take long to make and is great for summer when you want something light or winter when you want something warm.
Doesn’t pair to great with mimosas, but you can always drink one while you are cooking 😉 and don’t forget the pearls.